- How many people serve on the Board of Directors?
9 Total Board Members, which include:
- 2 Councillors from the City of London
- 1 Elected official from the County of Middlesex
- 2 Current Tenants of LMCH
- 4 Members of the Community
- Who appoints members of the Board?
The City of London appoints Tenant and Community Directors to the LMCH Board as follows:
- The City Clerk advertises the opportunity and receives the applications.
- The LMCH Board of Directors reviews the applicants and recommended candidates to the City Clerk.
- The LMCH recommendations are forwarded to London City Council for review and approval.
- How long are the terms of each Board member appointment?
Terms are staggered and are typically between 3-4 years. The term may be shorter if the position is vacated mid-term. Each posting will indicate the length of the term.
- What are Board members’ responsibilities?
LMCH Board Members Roles and Responsibilities:
- Regularly attend meetings and arrive prepared and ready to engage in Board business and discussions.
- Work collaboratively, and in accordance with the by-laws and policies.
- Draw on skills, knowledge, and experience to help advance the discussions.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Act in the best interest of the LMCH and assist the Board in carrying out its fiduciary duty (act honestly and in good faith) and duty of care (care, diligence, and skill).
- Assist in the recruitment and orientation of Board members.
- Actively participate in the Board’s evaluation processes.
- Participate in development of the Board and organizational strategic plan.
- Stay informed about Board and committee matters, review and comment on agenda, minutes, reports, and other relevant documentation.
- Participate as a member on at least one Board committee.
- Understand and demonstrate a commitment to the organization’s vision, mission, and values.
- Ensure the organization is complying with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Provide financial oversight and monitoring
- Provide overall policy and strategic guidance and support to the Chief Financial Officer Prepare for meetings by reading agendas, minutes, reports, and other documentation required to actively participate in them.
- Avoid any potential conflicts of interest.
- What is a Tenant Board Member?
A tenant Board Member is an individual who is currently living in one of LMCH’s properties and has applied to be a member of our Board of Directors. Having tenants on our Board of Directors assists the Board in understanding the impact of decisions in our communities as well as bringing valuable insights to discussions and helping us hear the current needs of our tenants. LMCH is focused on living out the strategic goal of engaging, supporting, and empowering its tenants. The tenant voice is included at the highest level of governance, where they can provide their expertise, guidance and insights that can improve the organization through the Board of Directors.
- How many Board meetings are held each year, and where are they held?
The board is required to have, as a minimum 6 meetings per year but has typically met 10 or more times each year in the recent past. Most meetings have been held virtually or as hybrid meetings with people attending online and in person. When held in person they are held in the main board room at the LMCH offices located at 1299 Oxford Street, E. Unit 5c5, London, Ontario, N5Y 4W5.
Committee Meetings are held between four (4) and eight (8) times per year and primarily take place through Microsoft Teams.
- How long are the meetings and what other time obligations are there?
Regular Board meetings are on the third Thursday of every month at 5:30 pm until 7:30pm. Committees of the Board meet at different times throughout the year based on the schedule maintained by LMCH staff. Board members serve on at least one Committee of the Board. Committees include:
- Finance and Audit Committee
- Human Resources & Governance Committee
- Tenant Services Committee.
- Board Members are required to attend one (1) board meeting per month up to two (2) hours in length. Board Packages will be sent out prior to each meeting and require up to two (2) hours to review before the board meeting.
- All board members will also be members of at least one (1) sub-committee. These committees meet between four (4) to eight (8) times per year with meeting lasting up to two (2) hours in length. Sub-committee packages will also be provided before the meetings and require up to two (2) hours to review.
- In total a board member will be required to spend between forty-eight (48) and eighty (80) hours per year for preparation and monthly meetings.
- Are there any prohibitions regarding appointments?
No person shall serve as a Director who:
- Is a staff member of LMCH
- Is a contractor of LMCH
- Has any actual or possible conflicts of interest, including any transaction in which the Director has a material financial interest or a loyalty conflict of interest.
- All Directors shall disclose the conflict prior to the Board acting on the matter and the Director shall abstain from deliberating on and voting in any action which causes the conflict.
- Directors shall also comply with the Agency’s conflict of interest policy.
- How do I apply for a position on the Board?
You may apply at any time, regardless of there being a position open. Notices of vacancies are posted on our website and the City of London’s website. The city of London’s website can be found at the following link:
- Where can I get more information?
Please contact Melissa Young at myoung [at] lmch.ca (myoung[at]lmch[dot]ca) or 519-434-2765 *241.